Abortion is the early termination of pregnancy. Termination of pregnancy is legal in Belgium up to fourteen weeks after conception, counted from the first day of your last period. We recommend that you contact your doctor or an abortion clinic as soon as possible because you must meet the requirements laid down by Belgian law such as a mandatory 7-day reflection period between your first appointment and the actual abortion.
- Abortion methods
Medical abortion (up to nine weeks)
- You can take medication to terminate the pregnancy.
- You must several pills for several days.
- The pills provoke a miscarriage.
Suction or vacuum aspiration (up to fourteen weeks
- A short procedure in which the uterus is emptied via a tube connected to a suction device.
- The treatment takes about 15 minutes.
- The procedure is normally carried out under local or full anaesthetic.
- You discuss your decision to end the pregnancy with a psychosocial worker who will explain the procedure and the use of contraceptives.
- Subsequently you see a doctor for an ultrasound.
- If you still want to proceed, an appointment will be made for the actual abortion. However, you will have to observe a six day, legally mandatory, reflection period before the procedure can be carried out.
- You can ask extra appointments if you feel you need to discuss the matter further.
Second appointment: the actual abortion
- On arrival at the abortion clinic you will have a brief meeting with a psychosocial worker. The course of the procedure is explained again, you get tips on how to manage the next few days and the use of contraceptive. You can ask further questions.
- You need to sign a form stating that you give the doctor permission to perform the abortion.
- You’ll be in the clinic for 2 to 3 hours.
Immediately after the intervention
- Take it easy on the day of the abortion.
- Do not lift heavy objects and do not exhaust yourself.
- You can resume your normal activities the next day.
The first week:
- Do not use tampons or sponges.
- No vaginal sex. Perform other sex acts if you want to work (oral sex, massage, role play, masturbation,).
- Do not wash or rinse your vagina.
- No swimming.
- Do not take a bath or sitz-bath. Showers are ok.
- Use a condom and make your partner use one as well.
Abortions takes place in a specialised centre where doctors and psychosocial staff can take care of you.
Click here for a list of recognised abortion clinics in Flanders:
- An abortion is expensive in Belgium if you are not insured.
- Check if it is cheaper to have the abortion in your own country.
- You can, if need be, apply for 'urgent medical assistance' from OCMW, who may bear part of the abortion costs if your application is approved.
- Violett's doctors/health professionals can advise you.
- Illegal abortion
In Belgium, abortion can only be carried out in an accredited abortion clinic. All other abortion practices are illegal.
- Don't buy abortion provoking medication on the black market.
- This medication is often fake and may contain the wrong active ingredients.
Improper use of these products can cause serious side effects such as:
- Severe bleeding.
- You may still be pregnant after taking the pills.
- Your uterus may not be completely emptied and become infected.
Do you have any further questions about abortion?
Currently we only work by appointment. Call 03 293 95 91.
Monday14.00 - 16.00Tuesday/Wednesday10.00 - 12.0018.00 - 20.00Thursday/Friday10.00 - 12.00
For general questions:
Monday09.00 - 17.00Tuesday09.00 - 17.00Wednesday09.00 - 17.00Thursday09.00 - 17.00Friday09.00 - 17.00
Currently we only work by appointment. Call 09 233 47 67.
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday11.00 - 13.00
For general help and social assistance:
Monday/Tuesday13.00 - 17.00Wednesday/Thursday13.00 - 17.00Friday10.00 - 14.00
Currently we only work by appointment. Call 011 33 30 58.
Monday10.00 - 12.00Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/
For general questions and social assistance:
By phone or for an appointment