Raising children is quite a challenge. You want the best for your child, but parenting is not all that straightforward. There are times when you just don't know what to say or do. Don’t wait, seek advice.

“I really can't take it anymore. My child does not listen to me. His father lives abroad. I have to give in because if I don’t, he becomes aggressive and starts screaming. It’s not normal, is it? What am I doing wrong?”

Sofia, window prostitute

Raising children

Raising a child is quite a challenge. Having a child is a big responsibility. It is quite normal to ask yourself whether you are doing well. Organisations such as Opvoedingslijn and Huizen van het kind Vlaanderen, can help you if you have questions about parenting.

Also children without a valid residence permit have the right to attend school.

Going to school

In Flanders, children from the age of 2.5 go to kindergarten. Children aged 6 to 18 must attend school. For more information about education in Flanders, take a look at the website of the Flemish community and Onderwijskiezer

Your child does not speak Dutch?

If your child does not speak Dutch and lives in Flanders, you must register him/her for a reception class as soon as possible. The sooner your children are familiar with the language, the easier it will be for them to integrate in local society. The reception desk of the city or municipality where you live can give you further advice. You can find further information on the website Inburgering Vlaanderen.

How do your children spend their free time? 

What do your children do after school, during the weekend and the school holidays? Are you looking for fun activities for your children? Does your child like sports or crafts or would he/she like to join a youth club or group? Every city or municipality has a youth service where you can get more information. Via the links below you will find further information about this subject for the cities of Antwerp, Ghent and Hasselt:

Youth service Antwerp 

Youth service Ghent 

Youth service Hasselt


The Huizen van het Kind help you monitor your child's health. Every Huis van het Kind has a Kind en Gezin consultation room where they monitor your child’s growth, health and development and give the necessary vaccinations. In the Huizen van het Kind you will also find other organisations that support parents with the upbringing of their children. You will certainly find a Huis van het Kind nearby where you can get help. Visit Huizen van het kind website to find out more.

Can't find the right information or looking for help with parenting?

For general questions, for a visit to the doctor, for social help,...
03 293 95 91
Monday09.00 - 17.00Tuesday09.00 - 17.00Wednesday09.00 - 17.00Thursday09.00 - 17.00Friday09.00 - 17.00
09 233 47 67
Monday/Tuesday13.00 - 17.00Wednesday/Thursday13.00 - 17.00Friday10.00 - 14.00
011 33 30 58
Monday10.00 - 14.00Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday10.00 - 14.00Friday10.00 - 14.00
Choose someone from our team to contact with a text message, Whatsapp or Signal.
Verversrui 3
2000 Antwerp

Currently we only work by appointment. Call 03 293 95 91.

Monday14.00 - 16.00Tuesday/Wednesday10.00 - 12.0018.00 - 20.00Thursday/Friday10.00 - 12.00

For general questions:

Monday09.00 - 17.00Tuesday09.00 - 17.00Wednesday09.00 - 17.00Thursday09.00 - 17.00Friday09.00 - 17.00

Brabantdam 100B
9000 Gent

Currently we only work by appointment. Call 09 233 47 67.

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday11.00 - 13.00

For general help and social assistance:

Monday/Tuesday13.00 - 17.00Wednesday/Thursday13.00 - 17.00Friday10.00 - 14.00

Ertbeekstraat 34
3500 Hasselt

Currently we only work by appointment. Call 011 33 30 58.

Monday10.00 - 12.00Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/

For general questions and social assistance:
By phone or for an appointment


      This website requires cookies. Please accept or refuse these cookies first.
      For more info about our cookies, please read our cookies policy.