A vagina and vulva are usually constructed using the skin of your penis, scrotum, thighs or large intestine.
The care of a new vagina or neovagina differs from that of a natural vagina. Below are some issues to be considered:
- Regularly dilate your vagina to increase its depth and keep it supple. If you don’t it may become too small for penetration and can difficult or impossible to repair. Follow your surgeon's instructions carefully and start the dilation procedure immediately after surgery, even if this is painful at first.
- Neovaginas usually don't get wet naturally. Use a lubricant to prevent vaginal tearing and get more pleasure from sex.
- Neovaginas are less supple than natural vaginas. This may prevent you from performing some sex acts such as vaginal and anal fisting. The latter (and anal sex) is discouraged, especially during the first years after surgery as it can result in vaginal prolapse (= vagina slips from its normal position) and fistulas (an abnormal opening between your vagina and large intestine). These complaints are difficult to repair and may be dangerous to your health. If you have sex, take it easy and stop as soon as you feel pain. Also ask the advice of your attending physician.
- If you feel pain during sex, or you feel that the vagina is too narrow, try to dilate an hour before sex to make the act more enjoyable.
- The new vagina does not protect you against sexually transmitted infections (STIs). If your vagina is constructed using tissue from your large intestine, you run a greater risk than with a normal vagina. Always use a condom!
- Rinse your vagina with lukewarm water and a little soap.
Finally, remember that trans women must take female hormones (oestrogens) for life. This reduces the risk of osteoporosis, depression and cardiovascular problems.
Do you have any further questions about vaginoplasty?
Currently we only work by appointment. Call 03 293 95 91.
Monday14.00 - 16.00Tuesday/Wednesday10.00 - 12.0018.00 - 20.00Thursday/Friday10.00 - 12.00
For general questions:
Monday09.00 - 17.00Tuesday09.00 - 17.00Wednesday09.00 - 17.00Thursday09.00 - 17.00Friday09.00 - 17.00
Currently we only work by appointment. Call 09 233 47 67.
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday11.00 - 13.00
For general help and social assistance:
Monday/Tuesday13.00 - 17.00Wednesday/Thursday13.00 - 17.00Friday10.00 - 14.00
Currently we only work by appointment. Call 011 33 30 58.
Monday10.00 - 12.00Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/
For general questions and social assistance:
By phone or for an appointment